The solar plexus chakra is the energy center of your personal identity. It rules all aspects of your personality, ego, self-esteem, personal responsibility, and self-worth. One of the primary purposes of the Solar Plexus Chakra is to provide us the personal power as momentum to move forward with confidence to take action to transform our lives and live life fully.
In this post, we’ll cover where the solar plexus chakra is located, the important role it plays in how your energy flows, and powerful solar plexus chakra affirmations to guide you in strengthening your personal power.
What is the Chakra System?
In short, the chakra system contains seven major chakras or energy centers. Chakras are wheels of energy that spin within a specified location in the body. There are seven main areas of the body that contain these energy centers. Each is responsible for holding the energy of specific aspects of yourself.
The Seven Main Chakras in the Chakra System
First Chakra- Root Chakra
Second Chakra- Sacral Chakra
Third Chakra- Solar Plexus Chakra
Fourth Chakra- Heart Chakra
Fifth Chakra- Throat Chakra
Sixth Chakra- Third Eye Chakra
Seventh Chakra- Crown Chakra
What is the Solar Plexus Chakra?
The Solar Plexus or Manipura Chakra, its Sanskrit name, is the third chakra of the chakra system, located below the sternum and over the stomach, around six inches above the belly button. And is said to be the center of the digestive system, including the gallbladder, liver, and pancreas, while also governing the metabolism. The solar plexus chakra is associated with the color yellow and the element of fire. If our energy is to flow upward through all seven main chakras, it is the fire of our will in the third chakra that gets that energy moving.
As with all our chakras, the more balanced a chakra is, the more at ease we will feel in that area of our life. When we are in an energetic balance in our Solar Plexus Chakra, we are confident without being arrogant; we’re warm and friendly, have courage and inner strength, and can be self-disciplined. Resulting in ease and inner peace in who we are and the decisions we make. We trust ourselves and that inner knowing- those gut feelings. We experience a natural flow with life.
Symptoms of Imbalances in the Solar Plexus Chakra
Deficient Energy in the Solar Plexus Chakra
Symptoms of a deficiency or underactive Solar Plexus Chakra may look or feel like any of the following, but certainly not limited to: Lacking confidence or self-worth. The feeling of being stuck in life, as though life is passing you by. Dreams and goals feel unattainable or impossible to achieve. You may experience low self-esteem, not vibrant, a feeling of helplessness, poor digestion, displaying passive-aggressive behaviors, feeling held back, not wanting to be seen, or hiding from the world. There’s no flow of energy, a lot of stuckness, and resistance.
Excessive Energy in the Solar Plexus Chakra
In contrast, symptoms of excessive energy in the Solar Plexus Chakra may look or feel like any of the following, but certainly not limited to: Being in “doing” mode all the time; the feeling that you’re spinning your wheels but not getting anywhere or that it’s never enough. There may be a feeling that you must maintain control of situations, experiences, or people. Or you could be achieving and succeeding by societal standards but have not felt any fulfillment in your work. There could be an overload in the adrenal glands or a thyroid condition. Hyperactivity, aggressive or pushy behavior, needing to be right, being overly disciplined or taking charge along with difficulty relaxing are all symptoms of excessive energy in the Solar Plexus as well.
Note that some people experience symptoms of both excessive and deficient energy in a chakra, which is referred to as “split” energy.
Strengthening Your Solar Plexus Chakra
Healing a Deficient Solar Plexus Chakra
If you have a deficient solar plexus chakra some of the following may support strengthening it are:
- Setting goals
- Shifting “I have to….” to “I want to…”
- Working out or jogging
- Building endurance, physically and mentally
- Eating healthy
- Being seen- such as public speaking, sharing your story or who you are with others
- Dressing up/nice, putting on makeup, getting a makeovers, etc
Healing an Excessive Solar Plexus Chakra
If you have excessive energy in your solar plexus chakra some of the following may support balancing it are:
- Exercise classes with exertions such as hitting and screaming or a hitting a punching bag
- Breathig Exercises
- Learning from others
- Allowing others to guide you
- Allowing your imperfections to be seen
- Developing a sense of power and success from within rather than from the external world
Signs of a Balanced Solar Plexus Chakra
Someone who has balanced energy in their solar plexus chakra has a warmth and friendliness to them. They exude natural confidence and feel good about themselves, having healthy self-esteem, and possess inner peace. They can find a balance of being self-disciplined, yet playful and relaxed. They are tuned into their inner guidance, are strong, are able to be vulnerable, and have courage.
Affirmation for Healing Your Solar Plexus Chakra into Balance
A simple and empowering way to begin bringing balance into your Solar Plexus Chakra is through positive affirmations. An affirmation is a way to affirm or confirm something is true. Affirmations are a way to provide ourselves emotional support and encouragement. As we say the affirming words from our lips, we want to really hear each word. In addition, we want to repeat them until we believe them, to feel these words as truth in our bones. It is then that we will experience healing and transformation.
“What your mind repeats, your mind believes.
What your mind believes your body feels.”
44 Affirmations for Your Solar Plexus Chakra:
(Note not all these affirmations will be applicable to you. Pick and choose what feels good to you or use them as inspiration to create your own affirmations.)
- I can do hard things.
- My dreams are becoming my reality.
- I am loving. I am kind. I am brave.
- I honor the power within me.
- I accomplish things/tasks with ease.
- The fire within me is stronger than my fears.
- I can overcome this.
- I am confident, courageous, and brave.
- I trust myself.
- I love and accept myself.
- I am worthy.
- I like myself.
- I am confident in who I am.
- I trust my inner guidance.
- My goals are within my reach.
- I am healthy and strong.
- I believe in myself.
- I am capable of so much more than I know.
- I am sunshine and warmth.
- My purpose radiates out into the world.
- I have gifts and talents to share with the world.
- I will not settle. I am worthy of my desires.
- My inner beauty radiates out into the world.
- I am willing to take responsible risks for my dreams.
- I enjoy taking time to play and relax.
- I am valuable.
- I have all the resources I need to live my purpose.
- I have the ability to be disciplined and achieve my goals.
- I am powerful.
- I am willing to step out of my comfort zone and try new things.
- I am willing to try something new today.
- I am open to new possibilities.
- I embody confidence and inner peace.
- I move with confidence and ease.
- I release the need to be in control of everything in my life.
- I am free from the need to always be right.
- I can move through my day with ease and spontaneity.
- I am free from the need to take charge and be “doing”.
- I can stand up for myself.
- I can stand in my power.
- My beauty lies in my imperfections.
- I have the courage to be me (my true self, imperfections and all).
- My true power shines when I move with ease and grace.
- It’s all happening with ease and grace (while imagining your dreams and goals).
Additional Powerful Tools that May Support your Daily Affirmations
Yoga poses that may support the solar plexus chakra are navasana or boat pose and bow pose. Jogging is also a great high-energy exercise for overcoming the stagnant or stuck energy as it gets the heart pumping, lungs breathing, and blood racing throughout the body. Consider putting your chosen affirmation(s) on repeat in your mind while doing yoga postures or jogging.
Crystals and gemstones that may support the solar plexus chakra are the tiger’s eye, topaz, yellow citrine, yellow tourmaline, amber, yellow jasper, and citrine.
Essential oils that may help support the third chakra are juniper, lemon, juniper berry, grapefruit, and vetiver among others.
Since the solar plexus chakra color is yellow, imagine a healing yellow light coming in and blanketing your naval area with warmth and healing.
Using any of these affirmations or tools will help fuel your mind and body so that you can live your healthiest and best life!
Karla Kueber is a Certified Evidence Based EFT Practioner and Health Coach with a background in Energy Medicine and a double Masters Degree in Education. She works with people to, heal trauma, overcome their past and use it to fuel their future. You can learn more about her own healing journey here.